Displaying Girl Scout badges properly on your uniform is nearly as important as earning the patches is. These awards and pins are symbols of the time and effort a Girl Scout has invested to accomplish those goals. Knowing where to place them can be difficult, especially since there are numerous types available, but if you have a guide to follow it simplifies the process.
Placement of Badges and Insignia
Girl Scouts place badges, patches and insignia on one of three uniform pieces: the tunic, sash or vest. Official awards must be worn on the front of the sash or vest. Each troop is able to select the type of uniform they want to wear, though the area's organizational team may require specific uniforms for certain age groups.
Badges and patch placement differs in each division of Girl Scouts (Daisy, Brownie, Junior, Cadette, Senior, Ambassador and Adult). In addition, there are differences based on the type of uniform worn within the group. A Daisy tunic, for example, has a different placement plan than a Daisy vest does.
Requirements for placing badges, patches and insignia can change from year to year. Placements for some of the most important elements of the Girl Scout uniform as of 2014 are detailed here. To find the current proper placement of the pins, patches or other insignia for each uniform, visit the official Girl Scout website.
Daisy Badge Placement
- Insignia Tab: This yellow ribbon featuring the World Trefoil pin and the Girl Scout Daisy Membership pin are placed on the upper left chest of the tunic or the vest.
- The World Trefoil pin and Girl Scout Daisy Membership pin are affixed to the tab.
- The Journey Summit Award pin is affixed to the bottom point of the tab.
- Place your 100th Anniversary Pin above the insignia tab.
- American Flag Patch: Place this patch on the upper right corner of the vest or tunic.
- Girl Scout Identification Patches: These patches go underneath the flag and show membership to both the local council and the Girl Scouts of the USA
- Troop Number: Troop number patches go beneath the identification patches.
- Membership Stars and Discs: These are awarded for every year of troop participation. Position them underneath the troop numbers.
- Cookie Sale Pin: If you sell cookies for your troop, you earn a cookie sale pin that is affixed - centered - underneath your membership discs. If you do not have any membership discs yet, but will get one next year, leave some space under the troop number before attaching this patch.
- My Promise, My Faith Pin: These pins can be earned yearly and allow Girl Scouts to align Girl Scout tenets with their personal spiritual beliefs. They go underneath any cookie sale pins.
- Safety Award Pin: These pins are awarded as girls learn about keeping safe in various circumstances. They are worn underneath any My Promise, My Faith pins.
- Petal and Promise Center Set: The Daisy Girl Scout Petals form a flower shape, with each petal a different color and surrounding a circle in the center.
- For scouts with a vest, place the petals on the left side, under the insignia.
- On the tunic, place them in the center of the chest.
- Leaves: Financial Literacy Leaves and Cookie Business Leaves are part of the Daisy Petals and Leaves program. Earned leaves are placed below the petals on either a tunic or vest with the Cookie Business Leaves placed to the left of the Financial Literacy Leaves.
- Journey Award Badges: Place these at the bottom of the tunic or vest.
Brownie Badge Placement
Brownie uniforms are either a vest or a sash. Along the upper right chest, place the following:
- American Flag Patch
- Girl Scout Council Identification Set
- Troop Crest
- Troop Number
- Earned Membership Stars and Discs
The Bridge to Girl Scout Brownie Award is placed below these and and is followed by:
- My Promise, My Faith Pin
- Cookie Sale Activity Pin
- Safety Award Pin
- Girl Scout Brownie Badges
On the opposite side, place the 100th Anniversary Pin followed by the insignia tab, with the World Trefoil Pin and membership pin attached to it. Journey Summit Award Pins are next, followed by Journey Award Badges, which should be attached at the bottom of the vest. As more awards are earned, add them from the bottom up.
Junior Badge Placement
The Junior Girl Scout badge organization is similar to the Brownie, although there are different badges to place. For those wearing the vest, place the American flag and council identification on the upper right shoulder.
Under this, place the troop crest followed by the troop numbers, and membership discs. The Bridge to to Girl Scout Junior Award is next and the following go below it in this order:
- Junior Aide Award
- Brownie Wings
- My Promise, My Faith Pin
- Cookie Sale Activity Pins
- Safety Award Pin
- Girl Scout Junior Badges
The Junior insignia tab is positioned on the top left of the shirt, tunic or vest with the World Trefoil pin and the official membership pin on it. The 100th Anniversary Pin goes above the insignia tab. The Girl Scout Bronze Award is attached to the left and center of the insignia tab pins; the Membership Numeral Guard is positioned to the right of the insignia tab pins. Journey Summit Award Pins are next and are centered on the upper part of the vest. As with the Brownie vest, placement of Journey Award Badges should start at the bottom and continue upward.
Cadette Badge Placement
The Girl Scout Cadette badge placements are similar to the Junior Girl Scout badge arrangement but there are some differences. Either a vest or sash is used to display badges and awards; for those choosing a vest, the placement of the American Flag Patch, Girl Scout Identification Set, Troop Crest, Troop Numbers and Membership Stars and Discs is identical to the previous vest placements.
Place the Bridge to Girl Scout Cadette Award beneath the membership discs and then add the Brownie Wings. The Silver Torch Award Pin, My Promise, My Faith Pins, and Cookie Sale Activity Pins are placed next. The Cookie Sale Activity Pins are oriented toward the vest's opening while the Silver Torch Award Pin is oriented toward the vest's side seam.
Next, place the following beneath the previous badges and awards:
- Cadette Program Aide Pin
- Cadette Community Service Bar
- Cadette Service to Girl Scouting Bar
- Safety Award Pin
Earned Girl Scout Cadette Badges are positioned at the bottom right of the vest with additional badges added from the bottom up; Cadette Leadership in Action Award (LIA) badges go on the bottom left.
Attach the Cadette Insignia Tab to the top left of the tunic or vest and place the World Trefoil Pin and the Girl Scout Membership pin on top of it. Girl Scout Silver and Bronze Award Pins are placed to the left of the insignia tab; the Membership Numeral Guard goes on the tab's right and the 100th Anniversary Pin goes above the tab. Journey Summit Award Pins are centered beneath the point of the insignia tab and Journey Award Badges are centered on the left below the insignia tab and pins and above the Cadette Leadership in Action (LiA) Award Badges.
Senior Badge Placement
The placement of the American Flag Patch, Girl Scout Identification Set, Troop Crest, Troop Numbers and Membership Stars and Discs for Seniors is identical to the previous vest placements; simply add the 10 Year Award Pin to your previous membership stars and discs. Directly underneath the memberships discs, place the following:
- Bridge to Girl Scout Senior Award Patch
- Bridge to Girl Scout Cadette Award Patch
- Brownie Wings
Below the Brownie Wings, arrange the Torch Award, My Promise, My Faith and Cookie Sale Activity Pins; below these pins place the following:
- Counselor in Training (CIT)
- Volunteer in Training (VIT)
- Senior Community Service Bar
- Senior Service to Girl Scouting Bar
Place the Girl Scout Cadette Badges at the bottom right of the vest and the Girl Scout Senior Badges above them.
The badges and awards on the insignia tab follow the same placement scheme as that given for the Cadette vest starting at the placement of the 100th Anniversary Pin and ending with the Journey Summit Award Pins. Add your Senior Journey Award Pins and Badges below the Journey Summit Award Pins, and place your Cadette Journey Award Badges below the Senior awards. Cadette LiA Award Badges should be at the bottom left of the vest.
Ambassador Badge Placement
Ambassador badge placement of the American Flag Patch, Council Identification Set, Troop Crest, Troop Numerals and membership discs is identical to the Daisy, Brownie, Junior, Cadette and Senior placement. Underneath the membership discs, place the following in this order:
- 10 Year Award Pin
- Bridge to Girl Scout Ambassador Award
- Bridge to Girl Scout Senior Award
- Bridge to Girl Scout Cadette Award
- Brownie Wings
Centered below the Brownie Wings, place the Torch Award, My Promise, My Faith, and the Cookie Sale Activity Pin. Next, add the the following:
- CIT I and II Pins
- VIT Pins
- Ambassador Community Service Bar
- Ambassador Service to Girl Scouting Bar
- Safety Award
Working from the bottom of the vest upward, place the Girl Scout Cadette Badges, Girl Scout Senior Badges, and Girl Scout Ambassador Badges.
Attach the Ambassador Insignia Tab with the World Trefoil pin and membership pin to the vest's top left shoulder. Put the 100th Anniversary Pin above the tab and Girl Scout Gold, Silver and Bronze Award Pins to the left. Place the Membership Numeral Guard to tab's right. Center Journey Summit Award Pins beneath the point of the insignia tab. Follow those with the Ambassador Journey Award Pins and Badges, Senior Journey Award Pins and Badges, and Cadette Journey Award Badges. Place Cadette LiA Award Badges on bottom left of vest and add others upward.
Girl Scout Adult Badge Placement
Starting at the right shoulder, place the appropriate badges and awards as follows:
- The first pin or award worn is one of the following: the Appreciation Pin, Thanks Badge I or Thanks Badge II or the Honor Pin, depending on whichever is the most recently earned recognition. Next, add the Lifetime Membership Pin or the Personalized ID Pin. Dependent on the adult's status, the next pin would be one of these:
- Bridge to Adult Girl Scouts Award
- Years of Service Pin
- Outstanding Volunteer Pin
- Outstanding Leader Pin
Attach the Adult Insignia Tab to the garment's left shoulder and add the World Trefoil Pin, the Adult Position Pin, and a contemporary or traditional Girl Scouts membership pin, in that order. Position the Membership Numeral Guard to the bottom right of the tab.
Scouting Badges and Awards Protocol
Consult the website or your Girl Scout guidebook for more information on the placement of badges and patches. Your area council may have additional pins and insignia as well. Note that your troop may elect a different organization; this is acceptable if the area council approves it. Leaders and ambassadors must also follow specific placement guidelines when wearing an official uniform.