You can protect your baby's tender little head from the sun's rays and help your little one make a fashion statement at the same time. Add some pizzazz to your infant's wardrobe by choosing hats in vibrant summer colors, or opt for an old-fashioned look with delicate fabrics embellished with lace. Either way, your little one will be adorable and safe from the sun.
Styles of Summer Hats for Babies
You'll find summer hats in all different shapes and colors, so it's easy to find something that will perfectly match your baby's personality and outfits. Hats range from fashion statements to practical sun-protection items.
It's extremely important to protect your little one from the sun, and there are many hats that can help. For maximum protection, choose a hat constructed of sun-blocking fabric. Ideally, a good sun hat will also have a neck veil to protect the delicate skin on your little one's shoulders and neck.
Consider the following great options:
- Kids' Play Hat - This practical option from SunDay Afternoons comes in infant and toddler sizes and provides SPF 50+ sun protection. It features a wide brim, a neck veil, and a break-away chin strap for security. It's designed with a flexible back to make it comfortable for your baby to wear in the stroller. This hand-washable style comes in 16 bright colors and retails for about $26.
- iPlay Babywear Sunhat - Affordable and practical, this option is crafted from SPF 50+ fabric and comes in 18 bright solid colors. It features a stiff foam brim and a long neck veil for maximum protection. This design ties beneath the chin to keep it secure. It is machine washable and comes in a wide range of infant and toddler sizes. This hat retails for about $26 on Amazon.com.
Perfect for travel or for keeping handy in the diaper bag, bucket hats offer sun protection and style at the same time. You'll find them in special sun-blocking fabrics as well as cute canvas or denim options. Look for bucket hats with chin straps, since it's not always easy to keep a hat on a wiggly baby or active toddler.
Try one of these adorable hats for your baby:
- Zutano Striped Baby Hat - Featuring adorable nautical stripes in your choice of 10 cool colors, this 100% cotton bucket hat blocks the sun in style. It's easy to toss in the stroller or beach bag and looks cute with any outfit. It comes in several sizes to fit babies up to 24 months and retails for just under $20.
- Kids' Fun Bucket Hat - This sweet hat by SunDay Afternoons is a perfectly practical choice that doesn't skimp on style. Crafted from SPF 50+ nylon fabric with breathable mesh panels, it will keep baby cool. It features a break-away chin strap and a 2.5-inch brim all the way around. Available in baby and toddler sizes and 12 different bright fabrics, it retails for about $26.
If you're going more for style than for sun protection, there's nothing cuter than a baby boy in an old-fashioned cap. These classic hats are perfect for formal occasions during the warm months or for your little guy's summer portrait session.
You can find baby caps to match just about any outfit in his wardrobe:
- Born to Love Driver Cap - This sweet cap from Amazon is crafted from summer-weight polyester, rather than the classic wool. The brown tweed will match all his best clothes, and it comes in several sizes for a perfect fit. It retails for about $25.
- Janie and Jack Plaid Cap - Crafted in a bright plaid cotton fabric, this cute cap is fully lined and even features a tiny adjustable buckle on the side. It comes in infant sizes up to 24 months and retails for about $22.
You can give your baby girl a classic look with an old-fashioned baby bonnet. Because of the brim, many bonnets offer good sun protection for little faces. They come in a wide variety of colors and fabrics. Look for options with adjustable ties to make sure the fit is secure.
Consider one of these sweet styles:
- Agnes Bonnet - This reversible option from Little Lids is adorable and versatile. It comes in a vintage floral fabric that reverses to a bright orange print. You can fold back the brim to allow the lining to show or flip it forward for sun protection. An adjustable chin strap provides a secure fit. It comes in one size that fits babies 12 to 18 months. This handmade bonnet retails for $36.
- White Eyelet Bonnet - This gorgeous bonnet from Comfy Kids is the classic, old-fashioned choice for your baby girl. It is made of a crisp white polyester/cotton blend fabric and trimmed with rows of eyelet lace and pretty pink roses. Pink ribbons tie beneath the chin for an adjustable fit. This option comes in sizes to fit babies up to 24 months and retails for about $13.
If you need a hat that will match multiple outfits, a reversible option works very well. With one fabric on the outside and one on the inside, you can always find something to coordinate. Look for a hat with one solid or very simple fabric and one multi-colored print to maximize matching potential.
Try one of these examples:
- iPlay Mix 'n Match Hat - With a bright striped fabric on one side and a classic royal blue on the other, this bucket-style hat will match a wide variety of outfits. It features chin ties and SPF 50+ fabric and comes in baby and toddler sizes up to 4 years. A pink version is also available. Both retail for about $12 from Diapers.com.
- Sun Smarties Reversible Hat - This handy hat comes in a bright print that reverses to solid pink. There's also a boys' version in a cute truck pattern which reverses to lime green. Both have an adjustable hatband to help get the perfect fit as well as an adjustable chin strap for security. The microfiber fabric offers SPF 50+ protection. These hats are sized according to head circumference, so extra-small and small will fit most babies. They retail for about $15.
Both boys and girls will look sporty and cool in a classic baseball cap. This is a fun casual look that also provides good sun protection for the face. For the best fit, choose a cap that has a size adjuster. That way, your little one won't lose his or her new topper in a stiff breeze.
Consider one of these fun options:
- City Threads Baseball Cap - Available from Diapers.com, this classic cotton twill cap comes in four solid colors. It features a size adjustment and fits babies from six to 18 months. This cap retails for about $16.
- SAMGU Cute Baseball Cap - This cute gray baseball cap features a silly monkey face. It retails for about $8 from Amazon.
If your little one will be spending time outside on wet days, a waterproof hat is a great way to keep his head and face dry. This type of hat is ideal for camping, swimming, and other outdoor activities, and it's also a practical item to toss in the diaper bag in case of wet weather. Look for a hat with a brim to deflect rain away from the face.
One of these options may be perfect for your little one:
- Flirt MacBonnet - This adorable option for baby girls from Urban Baby Bonnets will add plenty of style to even the cloudiest day. This cute bonnet is reversible with one side featuring a waterproof fabric. The design is seamless for maximum protection from the rain. Chin ties provide an adjustable fit. It comes in baby sizes up to 24 months and retails for about $38.
- Swimlids Swim Hat - With a stretchy fit and a nice wide brim, this baseball cap-style waterproof hat is perfect for swimming or rainy adventures. It comes in several bright solid colors to match baby's outfits. Size small fits head circumference up to about 19 inches, which the CDC estimates is about average for a 15-month-old baby. The hat retails for about $13.
Shopping for Summer Infant Hats
You can find infant hats at your local department store or your favorite baby shop; however, the best selection is online. If you are looking for a special color or style to match a particular outfit or you have a specific design in mind, you can find it at a specialty retailer. Consider these great options.
There is no need to worry about sunburned heads with a sun protective hat from Coolibar. The hats are made from a lightweight cotton canvas and provide UPF 50 plus sun protection. These are primarily bucket styles, but they come in adorable bright colors and fun patterns. Most options retail between $20 and $30.
Coolibar accepts returns within 90 days if the hat you choose doesn't fit or doesn't meet your needs. Shipping is free on orders over $100 or about $9 for smaller orders.
Posh Little Tutus
If only the most elaborate, girly-girl hat styles will do for your little diva, the wide range of styles and adornments at Posh Little Tutus is sure to please. Opt for a little bling or garden party glitz. Either way, these canvas bucket-style hats offer SPF 30+ sun protection and a handy chin strap. Most hats cost about $20.
Posh Little Tutus does not offer returns or exchanges since they custom make every item. Shipping is about $9.
Specializing in baby hats of all types, Melondipity has lots of adorable options for summer. You'll find sun hats for both boys and girls, as well as cute fashion hats and hats with flowers attached. There are even personalized options if you want something custom for your little one. Most hats from Melondipity retail for about $15 to $25, although the personalized hats are about $33 each.
Melondipity offers free same-day shipping for most items. They do not offer returns, but you can exchange an unworn hat in new condition within the first 15 days of purchase.
Wearing Summer Hats
Whether your little one is wearing a new hat for a special formal event or simply needs great protection from the sun, there are many wonderful options out there. Hats are one of those essential summer baby products. Invest in a couple to keep in the car and diaper bag so you always have one handy when you need it.