Finding clothing to fit tall girls can be a real challenge. There are some stores that offer better options for taller girls, and plenty of tips you can employ when trying to find longer inseams and well-cut tops to match.
Where to Buy Clothing for Tall Girls
Some major retailers offer clothing with features that fit tall girls better. The following stores with online shopping are among the most popular retailers offering clothing with items to fit tall girls.
Old Navy offers quality fashions for tall girls from size 5 up to size 16 in slim, regular, and plus at affordable prices. Old Navy's size measurements are about two inches longer than most. According to an Old Navy customer service representative, "Pants and shorts, with the exception of full elasticized waists, have adjustable waistbands. Shirts are cut longer for a more modest coverage and generally fall below the waist around the bend of the hip."
Skirts and dresses, according to product descriptions and size charts, are sized by height as well as waist size. Some hit above the knee while the maxi dresses and skirts hit the top of the foot.
Great options for tall girls at Old Navy include:
- Bootcut Jeans: These classic bootcut jeans (shown right, about $20) are a popular choice. Inseam measurements for girls' jeans start at 19 3/4 inches for size XS (5) and go up accordingly to 31 inches for size XXL (16). Several customers commented that the adjustable waist is wonderful but the length is a little too long, so the length should be perfect for taller girls.
- Fitted Scoop Neck Tee: This classic tee style is longer cut than most. It hits at the hips with a curved hem for more coverage. It comes in various colors in sizes XS (5) through XXL (16) for under $10. Customers comment that this shirt has a great fit.
- Fit and Flare Cami Dress: This cotton dress has a fitted cami top and flared skirt that hits at the knee for about $10. It has adjustable straps and made of lightweight knit cotton. It comes in three colors and is available in sizes XS (5) through XXL (16). Customer reviews show that it runs a little small in the top and is easily dressed up or down.
Gap offers sizing according to height, and most of the pants that are not fully elasticized have an adjustable waistband. While the size chart does not give inseam measurements for each size, the jean descriptions state that a regular size 8 has a 24.5-inch inseam. Gap has clothes in slim, regular, and plus sizes from 4 through 18.
According to a customer service representative, "The plus size pants are cut a little longer but also a little wider than the regular sizes." The height measurement for dresses run about three inches shorter than their sister company, Old Navy. The lengths of the shirts fall at, or just below, the waist.
Try some of these items to fit taller frames:
- Stretch Straight Jeans: These jeans (about $25) have a concealed adjustable waist and sits mid-rise. Customers commented that these have a roomy fit and have room to grow.
- Floral Tier Tank Dress: This dress is made of woven cotton and is fully lined. The hemline hits below the knee and it can be purchased for about $40. Customers comment that it is a beautiful dress but tends to run a little big.
- Ice Pop Two-Piece Swimsuit: This tankini is fully lined and offers SPF 40+ sun protection for around $30. If gives modest coverage for girls wanting a two-piece bathing suit. Customers say this suit has a perfect fit.
Boden is a British company that carries popular, quality clothing in long sizes for girls, available through Boden USA. According to their size chart, girls clothing is more generously cut in length and width. Keep in mind that U.K. sizing is different from that in the U.S., so consult the size charts carefully.
Consider some of these items for tall girls from Boden:
- Superstretch Skinny Jeans: These legging-type jeans come in several colors and are made of a cotton blend. They are available in long sizes for taller teen girls. They range in price from about $35 to $50 depending on size.
- Essential Leggings: These cotton blend leggings are versatile enough to dress up or down. They are available in regular length but customers noted that they are long enough to fit long legged girls. They are available for just under $20.
- Summer Tunic: This adorable summer tunic is perfect for girls from about two to twelve years of age. Since it is a tunic style, it can easily be paired with leggings or worn as a top with jeans or shorts to taller girls. The fun animal print and cool cotton make it a great summer top for about $30.
Sizing for Tall Girls
Clothing labeled tall or long is something that does not readily exist in most American retailers' girls' sizes. The "tall" designation does not usually appear until misses' and women's sizes. Average or regular size clothing just will not fit girls with long legs or a long torso. Tall girls that try to squeeze into average or regular sizes will end up with exposed skin from either average shirts not reaching the waistline or average pants that look more like capris.
According to this chart from the Centers for Disease Control National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for a six year old girl, for example, is 45 inches. A tall six year old girl is 49 or more inches. Girls between the 50th and 94th percentiles are considered average height, and girls in the 95th percentile or over are considered tall. While height plays a part in being tall, the way a girl is built also needs to be considered.
How to Shop for a Tall Girl
Try these tips when shopping for your tall girl:
- Many clothing lines offer adjustable waistbands, which allows pants to fit in length even if that means you have to buy a size or two larger than the waist.
- When in doubt, especially when ordering online, check the size chart. Size charts should list the length of either the torso or the inseam for each size. The height is usually listed too, and this comes in handy when finding a dress to fit a tall girl.
- Taking measurements before shopping is best so you know what size or length to get.
- For the inseam, measure without pants on from the crotch to the ground on the inside of the leg.
- To get a torso length, measure from where the shoulders meet the neck down the spine to the waist for shirt length, or down to the tailbone for full torso length.
- If your tall girl has longer arms, measure from the top of the shoulder to the wrist to judge sleeve length.
Depending on her age, she may need to try clothes in the juniors' department. While juniors increase gradually in waist size from girls' clothes, they are also longer than girls' clothes. In some stores, plus sizes and longer-cut clothing past size 6 are found in the juniors' department.
Embrace Your Height
It can be tough being taller than other girls of the same age. Trying to detract from your girl's height by squeezing into regular size fashions is a mistake. Not only will she look awkward, but she'll also be uncomfortable. To play down long legs or a long torso, try wearing leggings or skinny jeans with a tunic top or a knee or calf length dress. To accentuate height, try skinny jeans with a tee or leggings under a mini-skirt. Being tall doesn't have to be a problem if you know how to make the most of it.