Shopping for girls plus size clothing can be tricky, but luckily there are some excellent retailers that sell girls plus sizes in store and online. By shopping at the right retailers and following a few styling tips, girls of any size can look and feel pretty and confident.
Smile You Are Beautiful
Smile You Are Beautiful is a specialty site that focuses on trendy tops and dresses for fuller figured girls. They offer free shipping on orders over $50 and all of their items are made in the USA. They have been in business since 1946 and their goal is to produce stylish clothing for curvy girls at great prices. Here are some of their best pieces:
- Baby Blue Keyhole Top: This cute 3/4 sleeve top is super on-trend. This look is everywhere and it's nice to see it available in bigger sizing. This shirt has a modest cut-out by the neck, a half sleeve, and a longer hemline for slimming effects. This shirt is priced at about $17 and comes in sizes 10.5-20.5. Wear this stretchy top with leggings or jeans.
- Cold Shoulder Navy Dress: This dress is a trendy style that has cut-outs at the shoulders and comes with a silver heart-charm necklace. It's made of a polyester-spandex blend that drapes nicely off of the body. This is a great dress to have in your child's closet because it can be dressed up or down. It retails for $25 and comes in sizes 10.5-20.5.
Sweetie Pie Collection
Sweetie Pie has dresses for holy communions, weddings, and the like. You can't buy any of their items online, but take note of them. Sweetie Pie has authorized retailers all across the country. Use the store locater feature at the bottom middle part of the site to find one near you. All of their regular sizes have a seam allowance range of up to four inches, and if it is offered in sizes 2-14, it is also offered in specialty plus. They also feature a large plus size only selection. It's especially hard to find these types of dresses, so check out these pretty styles:
- First Communion Dress: This dress is so stunning that your child actually won't mind wearing it! Available in either white or ivory, this dress comes in either tea length or full length options. Very appropriate, but still extremely modern with its sheer jacket, it's made of satin and organza for a delicate look. A tie-back, subtle ruffles on the bottom, and a rose to adorn the jacket all add special touches. It comes in plus sizes 6.5-14.5.
- Flower Girl Dress: This dress is full length, and it has two color options, ivory or white. Embellished with a satin sash around the waist and roses from the hips down, this dress is both elegant and fun. The sash and roses snap on and off, and they are available in 30 different colors to match any wedding theme. It comes in plus sizes 6.5-14.5
NextDirect.com has a small, but great, selection of girl's plus size bottoms and classic white shirts. Next focuses on plus sizing for girls ages three to 16 years old. Their plus fit is very flattering, and they offer basics that are sleek and current. Check out some of their standout pieces:
- Stretch Skinny Pants: These black pants are considered 'smart pants' because of their adjustable waist feature, which is available up to size 12. This pant also features a double-button fastening and four pocket detailing for style and convenience. Made of 98 percent cotton and two percent elastane, these pants are comfortable and machine washable. Priced at roughly $25, these pants are a smart buy. Pair them with the white button down shirt listed below.
- 3/4 White Button Down: This blouse features 3/4 sleeves to cover any insecurities, and it is made from an easy-iron, stretch cotton blend. Retailing for about $18, this blouse is a closet essential. It also has a modern tailored fit, so it won't look frumpy or ill-fitting on your little girl. Wear this top with the above-noted pants, with jeans, or a skirt for a sophisticated look.
The GAP is a well-known brand, and they make sure to carry inclusive sizing for little girls. They have many stores across the country, but their online website makes it easy if you don't have the time or luxury to take your girl to the store. Perk alert: Sign up for their emails and get 25 percent off of your first full price order. Below are some standout pieces that are fun and stylish:
- Denim Western Shirt: The GAP is known for their denim, and they definitely deliver with this ultra cool medium wash jean button down shirt. This long sleeve shirt is priced about $35. This denim top pairs well with light or dark khakis and loafers, or your little girl could wear this top with a short skirt and tights. Coming in plus sizes M-XXL, this shirt is very versatile and can be worn many times without looking obvious.
- High Rise Skinny Jeans: All kids are wearing skinny jeans, and they are actually the most slimming. Girls that wear clothes that are too big for them often wind up looking larger in real life. Well-fitting jeans are the way to go for your girl. These darker denim jeans are stretchy for comfort and ease, high-waisted for a slimming effect, and they have an adjustable waistband. Retailing for about $40, these jeans come in sizes 7-18. These skinny jeans are versatile and can be worn throughout the different seasons.
You've probably heard of this store for men and women, but what you may not know is that they have an excellent selection of girls plus size clothing. Lands' End often runs sales, has promo codes, and offers free shipping on purchases of $50 or more. They also have one of the largest online selections of girls plus clothing. Peek at some of their colorful and fun dresses below:
- Twill Dress: This 100 percent cotton dress comes in nine fun patterns. Their navy blue version featuring blue and pink birds is especially cute. This dress hits right below the knee and looks stylish with a long sleeve cardigan worn over it. For about $40 you are getting a quality dress, featuring a zippered back for easy dressing. This twill dress is offered in both big and little kids sizes 4-16.
- Striped A-line Dress: Perfect for school or play dates, this long-sleeved dress looks best with tights. Choose black, white, or go the exciting route and choose colored or patterned tights. Available in navy and white horizontal stripes, as well as in dark and light pink stripes, these two color choices should please even picky girls. Priced at about $30 and available in both big and little kids plus sizing, this is a look your little girl is sure to feel pretty and confident in.
Many traditional stores are catching on to the plus size trend. H&M always features girls plus clothing each season at great price points. H&M also consistently keeps up with the trends and makes the most of each plus size garment. With so many stores nationwide, you have the option to return an item in-store that you bought online. You can also get free shipping on orders of $40 or more (with a promo code 0040 - this code never changes). Some chic styles include:
- Flannel Shirt: Kids always look great in flannel and you should definitely consider buying your little girl a flannel blouse. This one by H&M is only about $15 and comes in three flannel patterns: red, grey, and pink. The red and grey are the most flattering and they both will look fabulous with black leggings and flats. Available in five plus sizes for girls eight to 12 years old.
- Patterned Blouse: Leave it to H&M to make cats, dogs, and stripes all come together for a super cute girl's shirt. This long-sleeve button down blouse (about $18) is perfect for plus size girlies, because it dips down a little lower in the back, covering any insecurities. PriUnlinkmarily white and light blue, this blouse looks awesome with jeans. This blouse also comes in five sizes for your eight to 12 year-old, and it also comes in teen sizing (so if your child is slightly larger for her age, you do have the option to purchase this blouse and the flannel one in teen plus sizing).
Nautica at Zappos
Nautica is a great brand for quality basics. However, basics in no way mean boring. Nautica's clean lines, impeccable tailoring, and cute accents make for a very fashion-forward and modern girls plus clothing line. Zappos carries a lot of this designer's plus size items. Although many of these items are labeled 'school uniform', they are perfect for mixing and matching, and if Nautica wants to label these as 'uniform' clothes, consider this the cool girl's uniform:
- Light Blue Ruffle Polo: This short sleeve polo shirt is beyond adorable. It has tiny ruffle accents on the front placket, making it extra sweet and girly. It's available in light blue, red, and white; and comes in sizes M-XXL. With a price tag of about $20 and free shipping, it makes sense to order two of these polos. Style with white skinny jeans, or Bermuda shorts and sneakers, for a cool girl vibe.
- Bermuda Shorts: These shorts are very sleek and will give off a slimming effect on your little one. Like mentioned above, these shorts pair great with polos. These shorts, offered in navy and khaki, also pair well with graphic tees. Available for about $26, they come in sizes 8.5-18.5, and are made of 97 percent cotton and three percent spandex for a little added wiggle room.
Belk is a department store that has both online and brick-and-mortar stores in the South. They offer 180 days for returns, so there is no pressure. They also have a very large girls plus size selection online, and they offer everything from jeans to elegant floor length dresses. Some superior selections include:
- Denim Dot Dress: By Bonnie Jean, this denim and white dotted dress is adorable. It's spaghetti strapped, has an empire waist for a slimming effect, and is accented with a matching denim bow and white lace right below the bust. Very charming, and priced at about $50, it comes in sizes 14.5-18.5. This little dress would look cute with white tights and a white cardigan.
- Lace Top Dress: In need of something a little fancier? Simple and chic, this dress will flatter every girl's figure. Sleeveless with a baby pink lace top and a black flowy bottom, this dress is available for around $45. It even features an elastic spandex hidden waistband for superior comfort and moveability. Available in sizes 12.5-20.5, there should be a size to fit every little girl. Wear with little white fold-over lace socks and black mary janes, or with black tights and cute flats with a bow.
Who knew Old Navy carried plus sizes for girls? Old Navy actually has one of the largest online plus sections and plenty of stylish, cute items. Old Navy always runs tons of sales, and all of their promo codes instantly pop up as soon as you start browsing, and your over-$50 total ships for free. Although Old Navy has many styles, they stand out for their excellent selection of leggings:
- Plain Classic Leggings: Leggings should be an essential part of your little girl's wardrobe! Comfy and versatile, these look great under a longer top or under a dress. These black skinny leggings come in sizes L-XXL plus for around $15.
- Printed Leggings: Besides the basic black legging, your little one is at an age where print and color are intriguing and relatable. Luckily, Old Navy has a seven colors and patterns for you and your girl to choose from with these leggings. Some standout colors are the black paisley which will look slimming and sophisticated, the gray and lavender paisley, and the blue paisley. Priced at about $11 and available in sizes L-XXL, you may want to stock up on these. These are also machine washable and made of cotton and spandex for a flattering and comfortable fit.
Just because your little one needs to rely on plus sizing, doesn't mean that she can't look ultra stylish. Keep these tips and tricks in mind when shopping:
- Dresses and other clothes shouldn't be irritating. Read all materials, and check for elastic or spandex, for that extra stretch.
- A major piece of style advice: don't settle for frumpy girls plus clothing! Many times specialty stores carry outdated merchandise and your child may end up on the worst-dressed list.
- Shop at major department stores, because most have sections dedicated to plus girls. Just ask a sales associate -- chances are the sizing is there; you just need guidance in finding it.
- As far as skirts go, plus girls can get away with wearing bigger sizes. Try a teen size on your little girl if needed. Also try this method with other items and you might be pleasantly surprised.
- It's always all about the fit. Too tight or too loose: they are equally as bad. Don't buy something just because it's on sale, etc. Wait for those perfect pieces and then splurge a little if you have to. Quality over quantity is always better, and it will make getting your girl dressed in the morning a breeze.
Pretty in Plus Size
Make shopping a fun experience. You can show your little girl that with options like those above there are many cute styles that she will look great in. Knowing where to shop and what to look for can ensure she always looks and feels her best.