Girls flannel shirts have a lot more to offer than just comfort. The cozy plaid shirts were part of the 1990's grunge fashion trend, but now they are making a comeback with fashionistas from coast-to-coast, thanks to their versatility and affordability.
About Girls Flannel Shirts
Winter 2009 is being called the season of flannel. However, instead of resurrecting the grunge fashion trend, girls are using flannel shirts in updated ensembles. Gone are the days when fashion divas would pair oversized flannel shirts with waffle tees and other outdoor clothing to channel grunge rockers. Today, girls flannel shirts are form-fitting and brightly colored.
Flannel Shirt Fashion Tips
Flannel shirts are hot for winter 2009, but girls who want to kick up the look will want to follow these simple tips:
- Color: Flannel shirts for girls come in a variety of colors, though plaid is among the most popular selections. Bright plaids are part of the new flannel trend. However, those who prefer a more traditional look can opt for muted colors, such as navy, red, gray and white.
- Weight: Flannel shirts for girls come in an assortment of fabrics, from lightweight flannel to thicker varieties that will help protect you from winter's chill. Lightweight flannel shirts are ideal for girls looking to rock the fashion trend in warmer climates. Meanwhile, fashionistas in cold climates can look cool wearing thicker flannel shirts over long-sleeved tees.
- Fit: To avoid looking like a lumberjack, consider choosing a flannel shirt that is form-fitting. You don't want to pick a flannel shirt that is so baggy that it hides your girly silhouette. Likewise, you don't want to choose a shirt that hugs you in all the wrong places.
- Function: If you prefer wearing plaid flannel shirts, then it's best to pair them with solid colored pants. Plaid flannel tops look great with jeans, leggings and opaque tights. In addition, if you love the look of plaid keep the rest of your outfit uncomplicated, so your flannel shirt can shine without dominating your look. Flannel shirts for girls also look terrific belted over a pair of skinny jeans. Add a denim jacket and a pair of flat boots and you have the perfect outfit for a trip to the mall.
Where to Find Girls Flannel Shirts
Fortunately, flannel shirts for girls are readily available in most department and discount stores. In addition, you can also find girls flannel tops at thrift shops and the following online retailers:
- Target: The popular retailer carries a slew of flannel tops for girls by hip designer Mossimo. The Boyfriend flannel top in purple plaid is a best seller.
- Old Navy: Girls Plaid Tie-Sleeve Flannel Shirts can be found at Old Navy retailers across the nation. The soft snuggly flannel shirts come in an array of plaid patterns, and also feature pearlized snaps and puff sleeves with adjustable tie openings to create a whim some western look.
- Full Tilt: Full Tilt offers girls cozy long-sleeved flannel shirts with a snap button front, chest pockets and an easy-fit.
- ShopBop: ShopBop's shrunken long-sleeved flannel shirt for girls features a fold-over collar, six-button closure, shirttail hem, knife pleats and single-button closure at cuffs.