Save money on that special dress for First Communion with discount first communion dresses. First Communion marks an important passage in a young Catholic girl's life. This is when she makes a decision to join the church and begin her journey as a member of the Roman Catholic church. Parents want to mark the occasion with a special dress and young girls look forward to having a flowing white gown they will always remember.
However, First Communion dresses can be outrageously expensive. Luckily, there are a few ways to save money and still look picture perfect.
Where to Find Discount First Communion Dresses
The good news is that there are many different outlets for discount First Communion dresses.
- Other Catholic Families: If you don't want to hold onto the dress as a family heirloom, then you may be able to borrow a First Communion dress from another family in your parish. Since the dress will only be worn one time, this is a very inexpensive option. You may still need to purchase a few smaller ticket items, such as a rosary, Bible and dress shoes and socks, but the savings will be considerable. Simply ask those you know well if they have a dress available or know of someone who does.
- Secondhand Stores: Used clothing stores have become quite popular in recent years and carry a nice selection of products. Whether you visit a resale or a thrift store, you are quite likely to find some frilly, lacy white dresses on display. These can often be purchased for as little as 25 percent of the original cost. If you start shopping early, you can give the store owner your name and phone number and ask her to let you know if she has a dress arrive in your daughter's size that might be suitable as a First Communion dress.
- Bridal Boutiques: Many bridal boutiques now rent dresses. Dresses can typically be rented for around $50.00, although the cost depends upon the original value of the gown and supply and demand. Renting a flower girl style dress in white can allow you to deck your daughter out in a dress that you would never be able to afford to purchase outright.
- Seasonal Sales: Easter is a time when many beautiful white dresses are on the market. At the end of the season, however, these dresses are often marked down 40, 50 and even 75 percent at times. Watch the sales and you may snag a brand new frock for a fraction of the price you would normally pay. Try stores such as Sears, JCPenny, Kohl's and Dillard's for a nice selection of little girl Easter dresses.
Make Your Own
If you don't have any luck with the above searches and are good with a needle and thread, you might want to consider making your own First Communion dress. Patterns for these dresses can be located in almost any fabric store and also stores such as Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby. There are a few specific patterns you can hunt for in brick and mortar as well as online stores:
- Butterick 3118 - Flower girl, First Communion dress pattern
- McCall's 4284 - Girls sizes three to six, First Communion pattern
- Simplicity 5952 - Communion dress with veil
A few brave mothers have even cut their own wedding dresses apart and used the material to create a new dress for their daughters. Only do this if you are certain your daughters will never want to wear your wedding dress and it holds no sentimental value for you.
Remember that this is your daughter's special day and you want her to remember it forever. Decking her out in the perfect outfit for First Communion doesn't have to cost a fortune. With a little creativity and a lot of shopping, you can pull together an outfit that will rival anything someone else pays full price for.