The Abercrombie Kids clothing line is a popular, trendy fashion choice for children between the ages of 7 and 14. The kid's line features designs similar to those offered to older teens and adults via Abercrombie & Fitch stores, but in smaller sizes and at more affordable prices.
Shopping Tips for Abercrombie Kids' Clothing
There are some tips to consider when shopping the brand that will help you get the best deals, as well as find fashions that will appeal to your child's specific style.
Abercrombie Style for Kids
According to Abercrombie CEO Mike Jeffries, the company's target is the "cool kids". The Abercrombie Kids' collection is designed for fun-loving, energetic youngsters who embrace the all-American lifestyle and who love casual, trendy clothes.
While Abercrombie isn't the cheapest line available, the styles are popular with kids and the brand has a reputation for quality. Abercrombie Kids' clothing items are made from high quality materials that are designed to be rugged and can hold up to a kid's active lifestyle. A Yelp user describes the quality as being higher than Hollister, with similar pricing.
- Denim is among the most popular options for boys. You can find jeans priced around $50 with many styles often going on sale for around $25.
- Other popular choices for boys include hoodies which are priced around $30, button-down shirts that are priced just under $50 and super soft tees that can be found for around $15.
- Tee shirts remain one of the most popular items for girls. Abercrombie tees are done with cute and often controversial sayings as well as with the brand's logo and other graphics. Girls' tees are priced from $15 to $20.
- The swimsuit line, particularly the striped bikinis, are also a favorite among young girls. Swimwear is sold as separates, with tops priced around $25 and bottoms just under $20.
Getting to Know the Line
Abercrombie Kids' clothing is available in both brand-specific retail stores and online. If you are new to the brand, you may find that shopping in person may be better than ordering clothing online, at least until you are sure of sizing and are familiar with the trends. Since items in the line can be trendy, looking at them in person may help you determine if they are the clothes you really want your child to wear. For example, some Abercrombie jean shorts and skirts are cut shorter than you would expect. The length may not be suitable for school and some other activities.
To find a store location nearest you, visit the store locator on the Abercrombie Kids' site and enter you address or zip code. You will then be given a list of locations closest to you, as well as their hours and address.
Abercrombie clothing comes in both regular and slim sizes for kids, though the entire line is best suited for kids who have a slimmer build. Don't assume that what you know about how other lines fit your child will necessarily hold true with Abercrombie Kids'. Trying items on your child before purchasing can help you make an informed decision.
When shopping, keep in mind that:
- Boys and girls clothing is available in sizes 8 to 16 as well as in small to extra-large.
- Your child may need to try on various sizes to find out what fits best and if the line is even suitable for his or her body type and development stage.
- Abercrombie Kids' clothing tends to be cut slimmer than most other brands, so you may need to purchase a size or two larger than usual for your child.
- Kids with stocky or heavy builds may not be able to wear some items in the Abercrombie line, especially jeans and other bottoms.
- The store's site features a helpful sizing chart that takes into consideration height, chest and waist measurements in order to find the ideal size. If necessary, girls may need to go by a junior size chart to get a better fit.
- Kids' clothing is not designed for those over 5'4", so if your tween-ager hits a growth spurt, it'll be time to move up to the adult Abercrombie and Fitch store.
Shopping at an Abercrombie Kids store can be an adventure. The kids' stores are brighter than the company's dimly-lit Abercrombie and Fitch stores, with an environment carefully crafted to appeal to kids. When you enter the store, you will be greeted with the scent of the kids' line of perfume that is sprayed in the store, along with loud pop music and roaming models. As a parent, you may not find it appealing - but chances are that your child will love it.
All stores have similar layouts:
- The latest fashions are presented in the front of the store on tables.
- The clearance section is in the back of the store.
- Staples such as jeans, polos and shirts are displayed along the walls of the store.
- Accessories will be mixed in with clothing and include items such as scarves and handbags.
Getting the Best Deals
There are several ways to find Abercrombie Kids' clothes at great prices. Some tips for getting a deal include:
- When visiting the store, always check the clearance section first. Start shopping in the back before making your way to the newest items in the front.
- Because the store adds new inventory frequently, wait a little while before purchasing new arrivals as a way of giving items a chance to go on sale.
- At various times of the year, such as right before Christmas and just before school starts in the fall, seasonal price reductions are offered online and in stores.
- When shopping online, the site often displays daily promotional codes for savings of around 20%. All you need to do is enter the code at check-out to have it apply to your order.
- You can sign up for emails to receive special offers and notices of upcoming sales.
- Visit the Abercrombie Kids Facebook page and like it for the latest company news and promotional offers.
- Check out a site such as RetailMeNot for promotional codes as well as printable coupons.
- There is one Abercrombie Kids Outlet Store. It is located in the Tanger Outlet Mall in San Marcos, Texas, so be sure to stop by if you are traveling near the area.
- You can sometimes find select Abercrombie Kids items at Amazon.com, with items often priced at 20 percent below the retail price.
Even though Abercrombie is known as a trendy brand, many of the company's fashions remain in style season after season. Because of this, they are well-suited for resale. You may be able to sell items after your child outgrows them, or be able to locate second-hand items to purchase for your child at a significant savings.
If you are interested in selling or purchasing gently used clothing from the brand online, check out eBay.
- You can often find last season's fashions or even items that have never been worn for a fraction of the retail price. For example, it's not unusual to find a pair of Abercrombie jean shorts that retail for around $40 on eBay for under $10 and a tee shirt for boys that retails for around $18 can for under $8.
- If you are interested in selling items, take some time to get familiar with what items are being sold for and consider the condition of your specific items when deciding on an asking price.
There are also local resale and second-hand purchase opportunities in many areas. For example, stores like Plato's Closet will purchase items that are worn but in good condition and usually have a selection of items from Abercrombie in their inventory. You may be able to sell or purchase items at a local consignment shop, or even get lucky enough to find super-low prices at a thrift shop or yard sale.
Cool Fashions for Kids
For boys and girls who want cool, comfortable clothing, Abercrombie Kids has a large selection of items. Whether it is a simple tee or a pair of trendy jeans, you can shop wisely to find fashions that are at a great price and fun and stylish to wear.