You may not think that 11-year-old boys are that interested in back to school fashion, but it's important to send your child to school wearing something they feel confident in. Lucky for you, there are plenty of fashionable styles both in store and online that are school appropriate, fashionable, and comfortable for boys of this age group.
Jeans will always be in style, and they are definitely an item that should be on your child's back to school shopping list.
Get Dark and Light
Because jeans are so popular and will get so much use, be sure to buy your child at least two pairs, at least one dark and one light pair. This will give your son options to make his own decision in the morning as to which pair he wants to wear. 11-year -old boys like to have some type of authority in the morning, even if it's just in their wardrobe choice.
Levi's is not only known for their jeans being durable (ideal for tween boys), but also carries a wide range of washes in boys jeans in sizes 8-20, ranging from the dark wash Athletic Fit 541 Jeans in Inky spot or Greystone (about $30) to the light wash Slim Fit Performance Jeans in Cliffside or (also about $30). Many styles are available in both husky and slim sizes, too.
Relaxed and Jogger Jeans
Relaxed denim and jogger style denim are also perfect for active boys around the 11-year-old age range because they look stylish for school but still allow him to move and be comfortable.
H&M offers the uber cool distressed Relaxed Tapered Jean in a modern tapered style, and a soft denim jogger that are sure to catch your child's eye. These are available at just under $30 in sizes 8/9 through 13/14. These jeans are great for your boy because they are stylish, comfortable, and are now made softer for a more luxe feel.
Skinny jeans are also very in style and kids are wearing them in black, grey, and of course in the traditional blue denim. Your son will look extra trendy if he pairs them with a graphic tee and sneakers.
- Abercrombie Kids offers many different washes in skinny jeans for boys, and they've created skinny denim styles designed with extra stretch that make them super comfortable. You can find them in sizes 7/8 through 15/16 for about $25 to $35.
- Another great option in skinny jeans for boys are the Super Flex Skinny Jeans available at Old Navy. These comfortable jeans are priced about $25 and are made of soft stretchy denim with a bit of spandex. They come in sizes 6 through 18 in a variety of rinses, including the stylish black rinse show below.
Khakis and Cargos
Khaki and cargo pants have been around for ages, however, now they are designed in a more tailored fit than before. Baggy is no longer in style and kids now want a more fitted look and feel.
Khakis with stretch material are great because they allow your kid wiggle room. Also, with a stretch fit it is less likely that your son will get a rip in his new pants.
All the other kids are likely to own at least one pair of khaki pants, so your son will fit right in with these Stretch Khaki pants from GAP. These GAP khakis come in beige, gray, navy and red, and they also come in extended sizes and different fits including regular, slim, and husky for under $35.
Cargo pants are a great option for boys in this age group because of their comfort, versatile styling options, and their multiple pockets.
These Slim Fit Cargo Pants from Target are an excellent option because they are modern slim fit and made of stretch material. Priced at under $20 you can afford to get your boy a pair in each color- navy, gray, and khaki.
There are plenty of stylish options to choose from for boys when it comes to shirts. On aspect parents may want to keep in mind when back to school shopping is that everything fitted is in. Kids are no longer wearing huge, baggy shirts covering half of their outfits.
Polo shirts are extremely popular and they go with any pants. It is easy to mix and match them with his new jeans, khakis, and cargos.
Ralph Lauren is known for its classic polo shirts. With endless styles and color combos, there are plenty to stock up on. These polos are $35 each, come in a breathable cotton, are available in an array of both bright and neutral colors, and are sold in sizes 8-20.
The graphic tee shirt is also a staple that should be included in your son's back to school wardrobe.
- Land's End offers tons of graphic tees, both long and short sleeve, that will pair well with your son's jeans and pants. These range from about $10 to $20 in boys sizes small, medium, large, and extra large.
- Lucky Brand also has a bunch of cool graphic tees around $15 each in boys sizes small, medium, large, and extra large. Your son will love this rock & roll sunglasses tee, which would look great paired with beige khakis and gray loafers. The also have some fun state-themed tees, such as the Golden State one shown below, that would pair perfectly with denim.
Button Down Shirts
Also popular right now is the button down shirt. These combine comfort and style and are great for layering when cooler weather hits.
- Nordstrom has a really cool selection of button downs including plaid colors, prints, and solids. Your child will find this Vineyard Vines long sleeve baseball bat printed button down (also made of 100% cotton), priced at $50 fun to wear. It is both classy and playful and available in sizes 12-18.
- This Billabong Woven Lines button down, available at about $45, will look cool with any bottom. It has a bit of stretch for comfort and comes in sizes 8-20. It is made of 100% cotton, so it is machine washable.
You will also want to send your boy back to school with some new some sweatshirts to stay warm. These are great for layering and look cool as well as comfortable.
- Lord & Taylor has some really cool sweatshirts like this Sovereign Code sweatshirt (about $40), available in sizes 10-20. It is so cool yet so sophisticated with its contrast pocket accent.
- Another great option is this Hudson Hooded Zip-Up, which is relaxed yet stylish, in sizes 10/12 through 14/16. It is lightweight with ribbed trim and retails for about $50.
Your little man can throw a sweatshirt on over a graphic tee or a polo and look instantly polished, while still remaining comfy. Pair these with sneakers for a stylish look.
Facing sweater weather? A sweater can keep your son warm and can look a little more dressy than a sweatshirt, perfect for days when he needs to make a class presentation or wants to look extra sharp. When he is not wearing it, he can tie it around his waist for a hip look.
- J.CREW is a great option for boy's sweaters. This best seller (in sizes 8 -18) comes in a cool half-zip style and it is made out of cashmere and cotton. This half zip style, along with a classic v-neck sweater (in sizes 8-16, just under $45), look both stylish and effortless. Pair these sweaters over khakis or cargos.
- Calvin Klein offers another great classic look with its Scalar Solid Half Zip Sweater. This look, priced around $30, is designed in a machine-washable classy cotton an comes in a variety of versatile colors, including medium grey, navy, deep green, and cream. Sizes range from 8 to 16.
- Blue jeans are so versatile that they can be worn many times, many ways. Pair them with polos, button downs, or sweatshirts and your kid is good to go. You can also try pairing denim with Converse sneakers for a cool, yet fashionable look. There is no right or wrong way to style good denim!
- Cargo pants have a cool vibe to them and look great when paired with a tighter tailored polo, button down shirt, or a well fitting sweater. Because cargo pants have a relaxed feel to them, it is important to pair them with a sharp, crisp top, like a button down oxford style.
- Your son can also pair cargos and khakis with a polo shirt and a sweater thrown over the whole look. He can add sneakers to this look to make it appear more relaxed.
- Cargos and khakis often go best with casual loafers (like these Driving Loafers from Heritage House, about $55), brown boots, or low top boots. These can be suede or leather, and they should be a mostly solid color. The Children's Place has a nice selection of these types of shoes, with sizes up to Youth 13 that fit a 7.75 inch foot.
- Suede loafers also go well shorts. Old Navy has a huge selection of boy's shorts, and a great option are these flat-front twill shorts (about $13 or less) which come in a whopping 10 different colors, fit sizes 5-18, and are made to perfectly fit to your child's body. Add a graphic tee and sweatshirt to complete the look.
- Denim shorts (like Levi's Holster shorts, about $20) also look cool with a graphic tee and sneakers. Your boy can switch up his look by wearing denim shorts with a polo, a button down, and/or a sweater. Denim shorts look best with sneakers like these Vans Ferguson Pro shoes which go for $45.
- Add a (faux) leather jacket (like this Hawke motorcyle-inspired style, about $30) to complement any denim look.
- To top off your boy's back to school look, you will want to purchase a stylish backpack for him. Herschel has numerous youth backpacks perfect for your 11-year-old, and their Settlement backpack (about $50) stands out with its functional yet stylish design an unique color patterns.
Fun Times Ahead
The main thing is to have fun with your child and his fashion choices. Don't take his dress too seriously. Let him enjoy what he's wearing, but do make sure his styles are comfortable and coordinated. With all of the amazing buys available, your child is bound to look and feel his best this school year!