Finding clothing to fit tall girls can be a real challenge. There are some stores that offer better options for taller girls, and plenty of tips you can employ when trying to find longer inseams and well-cut tops to match.
Where to Buy Clothing for Tall Girls
Some major retailers offer clothing with features that fit tall girls better. The following stores with online shopping are among the most popular retailers offering clothing with items to fit tall girls.
Old Navy offers quality fashions for tall girls from size 5 up to size 16 in slim, regular, and plus at affordable prices. Old Navy's size measurements are about two inches longer than most. According to an Old Navy customer service representative, "Pants and shorts, with the exception of full elasticized waists, have adjustable waistbands. Shirts are cut longer for a more modest coverage and generally fall below the waist around the bend of the hip."
Skirts and dresses, according to product descriptions and size charts, are sized by height as well as waist size. Some hit above the knee while the maxi dresses and skirts hit the top of the foot.
Great options for tall girls at Old Navy include:
- Bootcut Jeans: These classic bootcut jeans are a popular choice. Inseam measurements for girls' jeans start at 19 3/4 inches for size XS (5) and go up accordingly to 31 inches for size XXL (16). Several customers commented that the adjustable waist is wonderful but the length is a little too long, so the length should be perfect for taller girls.
- Patterned Poplin Cami: This cute cami top is perfect for summer. It is a lightweight rayon poplin with an A-line cut and relaxed fit. The hemline falls below the waist for more coverage.
- Midi Skirt: This midi skirt is knee-length on average length legs. For tall girls with long legs, it would hit above the knee which can be a flattering look.
Gap offers sizing according to height, and most of the pants that are not fully elasticized have an adjustable waistband. While the size chart does not give inseam measurements for each size, the jean descriptions state that a regular size 8 has a 25-inch inseam. Gap has clothes in slim, regular, and plus sizes from 4 through 18.
According to a customer service representative, "The plus size pants are cut a little longer but also a little wider than the regular sizes." The height measurement for dresses run about three inches shorter than their sister company, Old Navy. The lengths of the shirts fall at, or just below, the waist.
Try some of these items to fit taller frames:
- 1969 Super Skinny Jeans: This popular style of jeans has a concealed adjustable waist and sits below the waist. A customer commented that for her long-legged girl these jeans fit just right.
- T-Shirt Dress: This t-shirt dress will camouflage a long torso. It has a curved hemline and would work great with a pair of leggings as a tunic for tall girls.
- Tie-Front Two-Piece Swimsuit: This adorable two-piece swimsuit would provide modest coverage for tall girls wanting a bikini-style bathing suit.
J. Crew is another quality clothing retailer with both physical stores and online shopping. According to a customer service representative at J. Crew, "The tall line is a little longer than average."
According to the measurements on their size charts, some tall girls would be able to wear women's petite clothes. For example, a girl's size 8 is equal in waist measurements to a women's petite size 00. Both have a 23- inch waist, but the women's petite size 00 has a longer inseam. As you shop, compare similar items from the girl's line to those in the women's petite section to find the measurements you're looking for.
The customer service representative recommended the following items as popular among tall girls:
- Pixie Pant: These are stretchable cotton pants that fit like leggings but look like dress pants. They come in five different colors. A customer commented that "these pants fit (her) tall, thin eight year old perfectly."
- Embroidered Dot Popover Shirt: This throw-on-and-go shirt is made of cotton and is long enough to wear as a tunic with leggings.
Boden is a British company that carries popular, quality clothing in long sizes for girls, available through Boden USA. According to their size chart, girls clothing is more generously cut in length and width. Keep in mind that U.K. sizing is different from that in the U.S., so consult the size charts carefully.
Consider some of these items for tall girls from Boden:
- Printed Skinny Jeans: These jeans come in three prints and are available in long sizes, which are cut two inches longer than regular sizes. Sizes 22, 24, and 26 have an adjustable waistband.
- Superstretch Skinny Jeans: These legging type jeans come in several colors and are made of a cotton blend. They are available in long sizes for taller girls.
- Cropped Leggings: These cropped leggings, available in three neutral colors, will actually look cropped on your tall girl instead of like capris. A size 26 (11-12 year old) has a 28-inch inseam.
Sizing for Tall Girls
Clothing labeled tall or long is something that does not exist in most American retailers' girl's sizes. The "tall" designation does not appear until misses' and women's sizes. Average or regular size clothing just will not fit girls with long legs or a long torso. Tall girls that try to squeeze into average or regular sizes will end up with exposed skin from either average shirts not reaching the waistline or average pants that look more like capris.
According to this chart from the Centers for Disease Control National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for a six year old girl, for example, is 45 inches. A tall six year old girl is 49 or more inches. Girls between the 50th and 94th percentiles are considered average height, and girls in the 95th percentile or over are considered tall. While height plays a part in being tall, the way a girl is built also needs to be considered.
How to Shop for a Tall Girl
Try these tips when shopping for your tall girl:
- Many clothing lines offer adjustable waistbands, which allows pants to fit in length even if that means you have to buy a size or two larger than the waist.
- When in doubt, especially when ordering online, check the size chart. Size charts should list the length of either the torso or the inseam for each size. The height is usually listed too, and this comes in handy when finding a dress to fit a tall girl.
- Taking measurements before shopping is best so you know what size or length to get.
- For the inseam, measure without pants on from the crotch to the ground on the inside of the leg.
- To get a torso length, measure from where the shoulders meet the neck down the spine to the waist for shirt length, or down to the tailbone for full torso length.
- If your tall girl has longer arms, measure from the top of the shoulder to the wrist to judge sleeve length.
Depending on her age, she may need to try clothes in the juniors' department. While juniors increase gradually in waist size from girls' clothes, they are also longer than girls' clothes. In some stores, plus sizes and longer-cut clothing past size 6 are found in the juniors' department.
Embrace Your Height
It can be tough being taller than other girls of the same age. Trying to detract from your girl's height by squeezing into regular size fashions is a mistake. Not only will she look awkward, but she'll also be uncomfortable. To play down long legs or a long torso, try wearing leggings or skinny jeans with a tunic top or a knee or calf length dress. To accentuate height, try skinny jeans with a tee or leggings under a mini-skirt. Being tall doesn't have to be a problem if you know how to make the most of it.