There's nothing like the perfect party dress to make any little girl feel like a princess. However, some of those beautiful gowns can get a little pricey, especially for a princess who will grow out of her dress in a few months. Fortunately, there are plenty of beautiful discount options available if you know where to shop.
Seven Places to Buy Girls' Discount Party Dresses
When you shop for a discount party dress, you don't have to skimp on style. From outlets to Internet shops, you'll find plenty of stylish options to fit any budget.
Overstock.com is a great place to start your search for the perfect party dress. You'll find attire that's perfect for everything from a birthday party to a wedding or other special event. Girls' dresses come in a range of sizes from infants to size 16, and the styles rotate on a regular basis to keep the selection fresh. Typically, discounts are significant, since this site acts as a sort of online outlet for surplus merchandise from brand name manufacturers.
According to consumer reviews of Overstock from Viewpoints.com, the shipping from this site is incredibly fast and affordable. Reviewers note that you may not find as large a selection as large department stores, but you will notice significant discounts on the same merchandise.
Burlington Coat Factory
If you're looking for an extensive selection, Burlington Coat Factory is a good place to shop. This store offers beautiful confections in sizes ranging from infants to girls' 16. Each size has plenty of options when it comes to ruffles, smocking, flowers, and more, and there are adorable dresses in every color of the rainbow. Prices range from about $10 to $50.
Burlington Coat Factory has brick and mortar stores all over the country, and you can use the "find a store" feature at the upper right corner of the webpage to find a location near you. You can also shop online. Reviews vary by location. For example, some reviewers on Yelp.com note that the deals are incredible, but the customer service is a bit lacking.
Marshalls and TJ Maxx
Although Marshalls and TJ Maxx don't do online retailing, it's always a good idea to include their local stores in your search for the perfect dress. You can find a location near you by typing your zip code in the "find a store" search box at the upper right of the web page. Once you locate a store, stop in often to check out the ever-changing selection. These stores are organized well and usually offer brand-name girls' dresses in every size, for 50% or more off the manufacturer's suggested retail price.
Reviews of Marshalls and TJ Maxx vary by the location, but most are positive. Reviewers on Yelp.com praised the store's organization and cleanliness, as well as the customer service. They note that you will have to sort through less stylish clothing to find the perfect item, but often, the hunt is worth it.
With locations throughout the country and online shopping too, Nordstrom Rack is another great place to look if you're in the market for a stylish, brand-name girl's party dress at around 60% off the manufacturer's suggested retail price. Since Nordstrom Rack is a clearance center for pricey Nordstrom attire, shopping here can turn an out-of-reach dress into something that fits in your budget. The selection in the stores and online changes all the time, but you'll find dresses ranging from 2T to girls' 16.
You can find a Nordstrom Rack near you by entering your zip code on the Store Locations page. According to a review by Style By Karen, Nordstrom Rack has an amazing selection and deep discounts. The only negative factor was that only 10 items are allowed in the dressing room. While this means that your little girl will need to make two trips to the fitting room if she wants to try on more items, this limit is higher than you'll find at most stores..
Ross Dress for Less
Ross Dress for Less is another option that offers discounts on girls' party wear. You'll find dresses in sizes four through 16, all discounted 20 to 70% off the manufacturer's suggested retail price. Ross doesn't sell merchandise online, so you'll need to find a location near you. There's a store locator search box at the bottom left corner of the webpage.
According to reviews on Yelp.com, there's quite a bit of variation in the selection of the merchandise and cleanliness of the stores from one location to another. However, most reviews note that the discounts are significant and that there are deals to be had if you're willing to dig through the racks.
Outlet malls are another amazing discount shopping resource, especially when it comes to kids' clothing. Although you may have to drive some distance to reach the nearest outlet mall, the trip is usually well worth your time. You can find your favorite brand-name kids' clothing discounted by more than 50%. Look for stores like Gymboree, The Children's Place, and more.
To find an outlet mall near you, use a site like Outlet Locator. You can search by your state or by the specific store you're hoping to locate.
You can find gently used and even new girls' dresses at consignment and resale shops throughout the country. Often, you'll see a savings of 50% or more off regular retail price for these items. As with many sources, the merchandise is constantly changing. This means you may want to stop back often to check out the party dress selection.
You can find a resale or consignment store near you by using the search feature on ResaleShopping.com. Input your zip code, select your state, or choose a category like "children's clothing" to get started.
The following online stores also specialize in consignment kids' clothing:
- Moxie Jean - Here, you'll find a range of upscale kids' dresses at discount prices. Shipping is free for orders over $50.
- Stella + Jack - This shop offers a great selection of gently used girls' clothing and has free shipping.
- Little Lavender - This is a great place to shop for lots of cute girls' dresses, and orders over $100 ship free.
- Peachy Bees - This kids' consignment shop has a great selection. Flat-rate shipping is $5 within the continental U.S.
Department Store Sales
Although you may not think to look at your local department store for a discount dress, it's actually one of your best shopping resources. The key is knowing when to shop. Macy's, Bloomingdale's, and many other stores heavily discount children's apparel toward the end of the season in order to make room for the next season's looks. This means that if you stop by the store at the right moment, you can save 50% or more.
These are some of the best times to shop for kids' dresses at department stores:
- Right after Christmas for holiday party dresses
- President's Day weekend for winter party dresses
- Right after Easter for spring styles
- Mid-July for spring and summer dresses
- Late September for fall styles
Shopping Tips for Buying Discount Party Dresses
Knowing the best places to buy girls' discount party dresses is the first step toward getting a good deal. However, a good shopping strategy is also important. Keep these tips in mind:
- Buy dresses ahead when you see a good price. Kids grow quickly, so it pays to stock up on the next size or two when you see cute party dresses on sale.
- Shop right after major holidays. Many stores stock up on frilly dresses around the winter holidays and then discount them in January. For example, Easter dresses can make great party dresses, and they go on sale the week after Easter.
- Check for factory seconds and dresses that need minor repairs. Sometimes, a dress will have a small tear or be missing a belt. You can often fix these issues easily at home and save a bundle on a steeply discounted dress.
- Consider arranging to get hand-me-downs from a friend or relative. Party dresses are some of the least worn clothing in a girl's wardrobe, so a very gently used dress might be good as new.
- Thrift shops and yard sales can be great places to find terrific deal on party dresses. You might pick up a dress worn only a few times at a tiny fraction of the retail price.
- Don't forget to check eBay for a party dress. Often, you'll find brand new and gently used options that may be perfect for your little girl.
- Remember that discount shopping takes a little more time and patience that just picking a dress off the rack at your department store. Expect to spend some time finding the perfect deal on the perfect dress.
Looks Your Little Girl Will Love
If you know where to shop, you can find girls' party dresses at a fraction of the original price. Smart discount shopping is a great way to stretch your kids' clothing budget and find looks your little girl will love.