Shopping for larger sizes can be challenging for people of any age, but it can be especially difficult for kids. Emotions can run high when the same clothes that are front and center in a department store just aren't available in your child's size. Luckily, online stores offer a lot of really cute clothes in just the right sizes for plus-sized children, and your kids can express themselves through fun fashions.
The Best Places to Buy Larger Sizes
Going into a shop without having an idea of what it offers or browsing aimlessly in an online store can waste hours. Instead, go to stores that have specific husky and plus-sized sections to make finding the type of clothes your child needs a breeze. These garments provide more room, while not being too long in the pant legs or shirt sleeves.
Old Navy has a section for Boys Husky Clothes and one for Girls' Plus Size Clothing. They have a diverse selection, and you can mix and match their pieces for a variety of looks by using just a few basic staples. What's even cooler is that Old Navy often has sales, and its deal-of-the-day is advertised on its home page. Free shipping is always offered on orders over $50. The following styles are sure to be popular among kids:
- This girl's plaid tunic is on trend and it comes in four different plus size plaid color patterns: navy and pink, orange and white, white and black, and blue and orange. This top is priced at about $20 and comes in plus sizes L (10-12), XL (14-16), and XXL (18). Pair this cute top with skinny jeans for a relaxed but chic look.
- Old Navy also offers this textured Dobby shirt in husky sizes L through XXL. This stylish top pairs well with denim and would look great with simple canvas sneakers. It's available for just under $20.
Like Old Navy, Sears has both larger sizes of Boys Clothing and Girls Plus sections. Sears has been in business for decades. This store once dominated shopping malls across America, but it's been transitioning more to a focus as an online store in recent years. It has good deals on everything from swimwear to formal clothes for chubby kids. If you don't want to pay for shipping, you can have the items shipped directly to your local store for pickup. These clothes really stand out:
- Your little girl will look extra sweet wearing this black and white embellished dress, on sale for $30. The little touches on this dress make it especially elegant, such as the jeweled shoulder and pleating. This beautiful plus size dress is available in sizes up to 20.5.
- For a special occasion, it's hard to beat the value and style of this Dockers suit. Formal attire can be costly, but this suit starts at the affordable price of about $65. Available in black and dark gray, this sharp suit comes in boys husky sizes 12-20. It features tailored styling and a front chest pocket for stylish handkerchiefs.
JCPenney has long provided husky and plus size clothing for kids. Its Plus Size section for Girls offers trendy outfits, shirts with popular cartoon characters, casual skirts, and formal dresses. The Boys Husky department features casual shirts, brand name shorts, sweaters, and jackets in larger sizes. JCPenney offers everyday low prices, and the clearance section of its site offers you an easy way to access coupons and special deals that are currently going on. Consider these JCPenney fashions:
- These fashionable, anti bullying, plus girl's tees come in six colors and messages, and they're priced at around $5 so you can stock up on more than just two shirts. Available in sizes up to 16, these shirts look cute with either leggings or a shorter skirt.
- These Arizona flex chino shorts for boys are available in husky sizes 8 through 20, and you can choose from nine colors ranging from Industrial Khaki to New Coral. Kids can wear these shorts with layers or a simple t-shirt. They are available for about $18.
Girls just wanna have fun... or at least fun with their fashion choices. The Justice website simply exudes fun from its girly logo to its vast selection of adorable clothes for plus-sized girls. In addition to fun t-shirts with cute logos, this shop offers accessory recommendations and provides savings when you choose to buy recommended pieces that go together, such as a shirt and scarf. The following beautiful, trendy clothes are created and designed with plus sized girls in mind:
- This Ocean Keyhole graphic tank is bound to become a girl's go-to tank top for a casual summer look. It comes in three different colors, each with a different design and cute quote, and it's priced at about $20. This tank comes in plus sizes 8-20.
- These woven super skinny jeans will pair well with the above mentioned graphic tank. Available in four different washes ranging in super light to very dark, these jeans will go with literally everything. They cost around $25 and come in plus sizes 8-20.
Daniel Jacob Husky Fashions
Boys will be stylish boys when they sport clothes that help them blend in with their peers, as well as stand out for who they are. Husky Fashions is for boys who need roomier clothing that's still attractive and comfortable. You'll find pants, jeans, shorts, tops and even swimming trunks. The clothes in this shop have an upscale look and feel while offering low prices. Check out its sale page for the latest deals. Also, consider the following options:
- Their red tropical bathing suit will help boys be ready to have fun at the pool alongside their peers. It provides a protection of UPF 50, and it's sure to stay with growing boys for a while thanks to its elastic waist with a drawstring. This bathing suit is available in husky sizes that range from 8 to 20 and it costs about $40.
- Boys will look great in this wrinkle-resistant long sleeve oxford shirt. Kids can be kids in this shirt without having to worry about wrinkles, due to its special wrinkle-resistant material and reinforced seams. While it is formal enough to be worn as part of a school uniform or for a special occasion, it can also be dressed down and worn for a fun day of hanging out with friends. This oxford is available in French Blue or White costs and around $40. Find it in husky sizes L - XXL.
Bonnie Jean has amazing plus shop girls clothes. They specialize in girls plus size dresses, so you can be sure your daughter will feel beautiful in one of their styles. They offer free shipping within the US and you can sign up for their newsletter to save 10% your order.
- Parents and kids alike will love how modern these dresses are, which can be a struggle to find in extended sizes. This pretty Gauzy Stripes dress is relaxed but stylish and provides a flattering look with its lace underlay and elasticized waist. This dress is about $35 and it comes in sizes 18.5 - 20.5.
- This sleeveless pink dress with rickrack sequin trim is fun and extra girly. It retails for about $20 and comes in sizes 14.5 - 18.5. This dress will look great with white sandals and a cardigan or sweater thrown over it.
Stage offers both girls and boys extended size clothing. With retailers like Stage, there is no longer a need for your child to feel embarrassed. He or she can dress just like the rest of the kids and not worry about standing out in a negative way. Stage offers more sophisticated and classic options, so you know that whatever you purchase from them won't go out of style quickly. Plus, you get 25% off with sign-up e-mail!
- This Pleater Popover dress comes in blue, red, or blush and is designed in a flattering style with a lace waist accent and a flowy style. This could be worn alone or with leggings for an elegant look. Find it in sizes 14.5 through 20.5 fpr about $60.
- This red off-the-shoulder top available for just under $50 and comes in plus sizes M to XXL. This would look cute with leggings or skinny jeans. It has an a-line drape and bow accents on the sleeves.
Kohl's is a department store that has an extensive online selection of Girls Plus Clothing and Boys Husky Clothing. Find good deals on basic wardrobe items like shirts, jeans, shorts, dresses, skirts, and even underwear in larger sizes, such as the following cute styles:
- This sleeveless belted navy dress is a great plus size find. Done with a fun sparkling star pattern, this is a style that could be dressed up or down. Priced around $40, this versatile dress comes in plus sizes 7-20.5. Your girl can pair this with cute flats and a cardigan for a sweet look.
- These Levi's 505 straight-leg jeans will help boys enjoy style and comfort whether they're just playing or going to school. Available in sizes that range from 10-16 husky, they might just be your child's new favorite pair. These jeans are about $25, and they come in five different washes: Dirt Road, Anchor, Cloudtones, Midnight, and Roadie.
Target is a good place to find stylish basics, and they offer a variety of choices in extended sizes for kids.
- These Cat and Jack girls' jeggings are versatile enough to be worn with virtually any top, from a cute tunic sweater to a graphic t-shirt. They are available in a trendy black wash and come in plus sizes 10-18 for about $13. The cotton stretch blend means they will feel as good as they look.
- These boys Core Stretch Joggers look great with graphic print or plain t-shirts and come in husky sizes 10-18. They are done in a comfort blend fabric and have an elastic and drawstring waist so they are comfortable for school or play. Find them for about $15 in Khaki, Olive Metal, or Charcoal.
Finding Clothes for Chubby Kids
With all the great shopping options out there, it's easier than ever to find flattering styles for boys and girls. All it takes is a little research about where to shop and a bit of knowledge about what looks great on your child.
Flattering Clothing for Boys
Clothes for chubby kids need to fit properly. If the garments are too big, it only makes the child appear bigger. Instead, try on clothes before buying or measure your child to ensure that online choices will fit well. Pants should be long enough to hit the top of the shoes and should fit around the waist, not beneath it with the tummy hanging over the waistline.
Some flattering styles for boys who are heavy include the following:
- Dark jeans: Choose deep blue or indigo jeans when you can. Besides camouflaging weight, these colors won't show the dirt that active boys get on their clothing.
- Vertical details on tops: Vertical stripes or dark panels on t-shirts can help make heavy boys appear more slender. This trick isn't just for adults; it works for kids, too.
- Diagonal details: Besides panels and stripes that go straight up and down, you can also choose shirts with diagonal details, such as wide stripes or swoops that go across the shirt from top to bottom.
Flattering Clothing for Girls
Girls may suffer from closer scrutiny about their weight than boys do, so finding well-fitting clothes that are also flattering can help them feel better about themselves. Look for these details when buying clothes for plus size girls:
- Flattering patterns and colors: Kids shouldn't wear drab, dark colors just because black is slimming! Children's clothing is usually brightly colored and patterned, so select clothes in colors that a girl likes. This can be pink, purple, blue, lavender, yellow, or any other shade. When she wears her favorite colors, she'll feel better about what she's wearing.
- Vertical details: Cardigans that button up the center, skinny vertical stripes, and tops that feature interesting details around the neckline (while leaving the rest of the shirt plain) will all elongate and slenderize the figure.
- Dresses that hit the knee: Girls should wear dresses that are knee-length, not shorter. This is important for age-appropriateness, and it allows her to show off her favorite shoes.
Fun With Kids' Fashion
All children want to feel good in their clothes. Take the time to help your child find the right fit. With the right style and fit choices, boys and girls of all shapes and sizes can feel confident and comfortable in their clothing. Fashion in fun no matter what size clothes you are shopping for!