Shopping for larger sizes can be challenging for people of any age, but it can be especially difficult for kids. Emotions can run high when the same clothes that are front and center in a department store just aren't available in your child's size. Luckily, online stores offer a lot of really cute clothes in just the right sizes for plus-sized children, and your kids can express themselves through fun fashions.
The Best Places to Buy Larger Sizes
Going into a shop without having an idea of what it offers, or browsing aimlessly in an online store, can waste hours. Instead, go to stores that have specific husky and plus-sized sections to make finding the type of clothes your child needs a breeze. These garments provide more room, while not being too long in the pant legs or shirt sleeves.
Old Navy has a section for Boys Husky Clothes and one for Girls' Plus Size Clothing. They have a diverse selection, and you can mix and match their pieces for a variety of looks by using just a few basic staples. What's even cooler is that Old Navy often has sales, and its deal-of-the-day is advertised on its home page. Free shipping is always offered on orders over $50. The following styles are sure to be popular among kids:
- This girl's printed boho top is super on trend and it comes in three different plus size paisley color patterns: purple, navy and emerald, and light blue and white. This top is priced at about $20 and comes in plus sizes L (10-12), XL (14-16), and XXL (18). Pair this flowy top with leggings for a relaxed but chic look.
- Old Navy also offers this boys sweater-knit henley shirt in sizes up to XXL. This henley comes in navy or burgundy stripes and looks best with jeans and sneakers. Priced at about $20, you can afford to buy your boy one in each color.
Kohl's is a department store that has an extensive online selection of Girls Plus Clothing and Boys Husky Clothing. Find good deals on basic wardrobe items like shirts, jeans, shorts, dresses, skirts, and even underwear in larger sizes, such as the following cute styles:
- This bar back swing dress is a great plus size find. Available in six different colors and patterns, this is truly a dress for even the pickiest girls. Priced around $30, this versatile dress comes in sizes up to 18 1/2. Your girl can pair this with cute flats for a sweet look.
- Lee Relaxed Fit Jeans will help boys enjoy style and comfort whether they're just playing or going to school. Available in sizes that range from 12 husky to 18 husky, they're sure to be your child's new favorite pair. These jeans are just under $30 and they have a relaxed fit with plenty of room to move.
Like Old Navy, Sears has both larger sizes of Boys Clothing and Girls Plus sections. Sears has been in business for decades. This store once dominated shopping malls across America, but it's been transitioning more to a focus as an online store in recent years. It has good deals on everything from swimwear to formal clothes for chubby kids. If you don't want to pay for shipping, you can have the items shipped directly to your local store for pickup. These clothes really stand out:
- Your little girl will look extra sweet wearing this black and white embellished dress, on sale for $30. The little touches on this dress make it especially elegant, such as the jeweled shoulder and pleating. This beautiful plus size dress is available in sizes up to 20.5
JCPenney has long provided husky and plus size clothing for kids. Its Plus Size section for Girls offers trendy outfits, shirts with popular cartoon characters, casual skirts, and formal dresses. The Boys Husky department features casual shirts, brand name shorts, sweaters, and jackets in larger sizes. JCPenney offers everyday low prices, and the clearance section of its site offers you an easy way to access coupons and special deals that are currently going on. Consider these JCPenney fashions:
- These fashionable, anti bullying, plus girl's tees come in six colors and messages, and they're priced at around $5 so you can stock up on more than just two shirts. Available in sizes up to 16, these shirts look cute with either leggings or a shorter skirt.
- These Arizona Cargo Shorts for boys are available in husky sizes 8 through 20, and you can choose colors from light beige to navy to black. Kids can wear these shorts with layers or a simple t-shirt. They are available for about $15.
Girls just wanna have fun... or at least fun with their fashion choices. The Justice website simply exudes fun from its girly logo to its vast selection of adorable clothes for plus-sized girls. In addition to fun t-shirts with cute logos, this shop offers accessory recommendations and provides savings when you choose to buy recommended pieces that go together, such as a shirt and scarf. The following beautiful, trendy clothes are created and designed with plus sized girls in mind:
- This colorful graphic tank is bound to become a girl's go-to tank top. It comes in four different colors, each with a different design and cute quote, and it's priced at about $17. This tank comes in plus sizes 10-20.
- These woven super skinny jeans will pair great with the above mentioned graphic tank. Available in four different washes ranging in super light to very dark, these jeans will go with literally everything. They cost around $25 and come in plus sizes 8-20.
Daniel Jacob Husky Fashions
Boys will be stylish boys when they sport clothes that help them blend in with their peers, as well as stand out for who they are. Husky Fashions is for boys who need roomier clothing that's still attractive and comfortable. You'll find pants, jeans, shorts, tops and even swimming trunks. The clothes in this shop have an upscale look and feel while offering low prices. Check out its sale page for the latest deals. Also, consider the following options:
- Their red tropical bathing suit will help boys be ready to have fun at the pool alongside their peers. It provides a protection of UPF 50, and it's sure to stay with growing boys for a while thanks to its elastic waist with a drawstring. This bathing suit is available in sizes that range from 8 husky to 20 husky, and it costs about $40.
- Boys will look great in this wrinkle resistant long sleeve oxford shirt. Kids can be kids in this shirt without having to worry about wrinkles, due to its special wrinkle resistant material and reinforced seems. While it is formal enough to be worn as part of a school uniform or for a special occasion, it can also be dressed down and worn for a fun day of hanging out with friends. This oxford costs only around $40 and comes in husky sizes S - XXL.
Hey Mom, "It Fits!"
This clothing retailer that caters solely to larger sized children is another great online option. You can check out their size chart to be sure items fit. Your child will look and feel his or her best with these affordable buys:
- This clean white unisex short sleeved collared polo shirt is only about $12 and ranges in sizes up to 20. This is a great polished look on boys with khakis or cargos, and a cute look on girls with a skirt and mary janes.
- Hey Mom, "It Fits!" also offers this black fleece, also unisex, and it comes in sizes 1-9. This is a great jacket that is extremely versatile and can be paired with anything for those chilly nights and comfy weekends.
BonnieJean.com has amazing plus shop girls clothes. They specialize in girls plus size dresses, so you can be sure your daughter will feel beautiful in one of their styles. They offer free shipping within the US and you can sign up for their newsletter to save 10% your order.
- Parents and kids alike will love how modern these dresses are, which can be a struggle to find in extended sizes. This black and white dress is beyond cute and your girl will feel gorgeous. Their prices are very reasonable and this dress is just over $40. It comes in sizes 14.5 - 20.5.
- This blue and green colorful dress is fun and extra girly. It retails for just over $40 as well and comes in sizes 14.5 - 20.5. This dress will look great with white sandals and a cardigan or sweater thrown over it.
Stage offers both girls and boys extended size clothing. With retailers like Stage, there is no longer a need for your child to feel embarrassed. He or she can dress just like the rest of the kids and not worry about standing out in a negative way. Stage offers more sophisticated and classic options, so you know that whatever you purchase from them won't go out of style quickly. 25% off with sign-up e-mail!
- This cardigan is beyond chic and goes up to size 20.5. It's available in white, navy, and burgundy, and is designed in a flattering style. Throw this sweater on over your girl's dress or pair it with leggings for an elegant feel.
- This navy crochet dress is available for about $40 and also goes up to size 20.5. This will look cute in the summer or in the winter with tights underneath. It has an elastic waist and is machine washable, so it is very easy to care for as well as comfortable.
In addition to these shops where plus size clothing is plentiful, you may also be able to find some good deals on other websites like Macy's and Nordstrom that have clothing in multiple sizes without always having a designated husky or plus-sized sections for kids.
Finding Clothes for Chubby Kids
With all the great shopping options out there, it's easier than ever to find flattering styles for boys and girls. All it takes is a little research about where to shop and a bit of knowledge about what looks great on your child.
Flattering Clothing for Boys
Clothes for chubby kids need to fit properly. If the garments are too big, it only makes the child appear bigger. Instead, try on clothes before buying or measure your child to ensure that online choices will fit well. Pants should be long enough to hit the top of the shoes and should fit around the waist, not beneath it with the tummy hanging over the waistline.
Some flattering styles for boys who are heavy include the following:
- Dark jeans: Choose deep blue or indigo jeans when you can. Besides camouflaging weight, these colors won't show the dirt that active boys get on their clothing.
- Vertical details on tops: Vertical stripes or dark panels on t-shirts can help make heavy boys appear more slender. This trick isn't just for adults; it works for kids, too.
- Diagonal details: Besides panels and stripes that go straight up and down, you can also choose shirts with diagonal details, such as wide stripes or swoops that go across the shirt from top to bottom.
Flattering Clothing for Girls
Girls may suffer from closer scrutiny about their weight than boys do, so finding well-fitting clothes that are also flattering can help them feel better about themselves. Look for these details when buying clothes for plus size girls:
- Flattering patterns and colors: Kids shouldn't wear drab, dark colors just because black is slimming! Children's clothing is usually brightly colored and patterned, so select clothes in colors that a girl likes. This can be pink, purple, blue, lavender, yellow, or any other shade. When she wears her favorite colors, she'll feel better about what she's wearing.
- Vertical details: Cardigans that button up the center, skinny vertical stripes, and tops that feature interesting details around the neckline (while leaving the rest of the shirt plain) will all elongate and slenderize the figure.
- Dresses that hit the knee: Girls should wear dresses that are knee-length, not shorter. This is important for age-appropriateness, and it allows her to show off her favorite shoes.
Fun With Kids' Fashion
All children want to feel good in their clothes. Take the time to help your child find the right fit. With the right style and fit choices, boys and girls of all shapes and sizes can feel confident and comfortable in their clothing. Fashion in fun no matter what size clothes you are shopping for!